sathwet@gmail.com

Melbourne, VIC, Australia
I’m specialized in Microsoft technologies and information security. I always willing to ride an extra mile to help the IT community sharing my past experience and technical knoladge.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Windows Print Cluster Migration error Windows Server 2008 R2

I had an issue with migrating large printer cluster to a new Microsoft Windows server 2008 R2 Cluster. All i did was export printers from the old cluster and import in to the new cluster. But the import keep failed with the following error on event viewer.

Printbrm.exe (the Printer Migration Wizard or the command-line tool) failed to restore print queue HP LaserJet 8000dn. The restore process will continue, skipping this queue. Error: 0x80070709. The printer name is invalid.

I found Microsoft KB976571 fixes this issue and many other printer cluster related issues. I tested this my environment with no issues, But its highly recommended to test with a test cluster before you install it in the production.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976571

I found this blog helps a lot on Microsoft cluster related issues as well.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2010/11/12/windows-print-cluster-best-practices-for-windows-server-2003-to-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

No comments: